2013 Research Symposium Quick Links
The National Stuttering Association’s Annual Conference is a life-changing event where people who stutter, their families, and the professionals who help them gather to learn from one another with the focus on self-help and support. Imagine a place where the “experts” include researchers and clinicians who specialize in stuttering, children and adults who stutter, and those who support them!
This year, special attention has been given to providing speech-language pathologists a wide variety of session formats and experiences in which they can earn ASHA-approved CEUs both during the conference and at pre-conference activities. We suggest that SLPs arrive on Monday since workshops are held on both Tuesday (7/2) and Wednesday (7/3), and then stay for the rest of the conference, with more CEU and social/networking opportunities through Saturday.
Our Research Symposium is two days of sessions with top researchers from across the globe. We urge you not to miss this opportunity to learn about cutting edge research in stuttering. Earn 1.4 CEU’s, meet informally with the presenters at the NSA-sponsored cocktail reception, and stay a few days longer to enjoy the Annual NSA Conference. We offer a discount to those who register for both the symposium and the conference, with even more opportunities to earn CEU’s (see registration materials below for details).
Conference Chair, NSA Research Symposium
Conference Workshops & General Sessions
Workshops are designated in the conference program as recommended for SLPs, teens, young adults, parents, etc. Those sessions that have been approved for ASHA CEUs will be marked. Workshops are scheduled throughout the day on Wednesday,Thursday, Friday and Saturday with an opportunity to earn up to 1.5 CEU’s . Topics cover the latest research in stuttering, evidence-based treatment approaches, and self-help strategies from those who stutter. Highlights include panel discussions with covert stutterers, teens who stutter, roundtable discussions with spouses and parents of those who stutter, and strategies for approaching everything from job interviews to dating. General sessions feature inspiring keynote speakers and invited guests. These are times when we all gather in the spirit of support and celebration.
There will be a variety of opportunities for SLPs to attend workshops designed with their needs in mind. Roundtable discussions with teens and adults who stutter as well as the parents of children who stutter will allow the SLP to hear the personal stories of individuals who stutter and their families in a setting that encourages SLPs to ask questions. Many workshops led by leading SLPs will be offered throughout the conference. There will be a number of not to be missed adult workshops offered including an informative Research Update, Covert Stuttering and other, educational, and enlightening seminars.
- Opening Celebration – Thursday, July 4 starting at 5:30PM: Our 90-minute Opening Celebration will include guest speakers, conference awards, and light hors d’oeuvres followed by fun activities. Afterwards, head to the bar to mingle with First-Timers and conference regulars.
- Closing Ceremony – Saturday July 6 from 3:00PM – 4:00PM: The culmination and celebration of the entire conference happens here!
- Live Auction and Banquet – Saturday, July 6 starting at 5:30PM Going…going…GONE! These simple words can mean only one thing…it’s time for the NSA auction! Our live auction is one of our largest fundraisers as well as a much-loved conference staple. So when you pack for Scottsdale, don’t forget your credit cards, and be sure to leave some extra room in your luggage for all of the great treasures we’ll have on auction! Join us at 5:30 for a cocktail reception; doors open at 6:00PM. This is the time to dress to impress in your fancy clothes, grab your friends, and head to the closing party, including the live auction and a delicious catered dinner. Dress is typically semi-formal but please dress in whatever is comfortable to you.
- Silent Auction - Ongoing Our silent auction consisting of smaller items will also be returning to the conference this year. This ongoing event is another chance to bid on exciting treasures and help out the NSA at the same time. Talk about a win-win situation! Have an item to donate to either auction? Let us know!
- Excursions/tours-We offer a wide variety of off-site tours and excursions for all ages!
Our complete Conference Program that includes all workshop schedules and events will be available by June 2013 and will be sent to you via an e-mail blast from the National Office. Be sure to check it out before coming so you can become familiar with what to expect in more detail.
Still on the fence about attending? Check out this short video for SLPs.
Contact us at Info@WeStutter.org with any questions you may have.
We look forward to seeing you at the conference!!